Saturday, June 11, 2011

So Far, So Good

We did it!  We made it through a fill on our own... sort of.  The last couple of weeks, we've been doing my fills in the evenings, after dad gets home from work, and when someone else can be here for an extra set of hands (which we've always really needed).  This week threw us a curve ball, however, when my sister developed a cold the night before our "fill day."  If you remember, even being under the weather ever-so-slightly will cause us to miss a fill.  And, generally, I catch all of the colds my sis brings home.  So, dad came home from work early Thursday to make sure we could do a fill before I started showing symptoms as well.

The fill went fine, though I cried each time the needle went in.  That didn't make sense since I should have been numb, but I only cried about that for a few seconds and then dad could proceed without interruption.  We did the first side entirely on our own and got 75 cc in!  It went smooth as silk, and I just hung out drinking my bottle while it was done.  But I never like doing the second side.  I don't like the restraint especially.  Luckily, by the time we started the fill on the other side, my uncle came by for a visit and he helped with the distractions.  Because that side doesn't seem to fill as well (we only got 45 cc in), it really only takes about 3-5 minutes to get it done and mom and dad now know that they could do it on their own if they had to.  It's just easier on all of us to have someone else here.

Mom did ask Dr. Bauer's office about the difference in how my expanders are filling, and it's just kind of the luck of the draw as to how they each fill. There are so many variables affecting this process.  But they assure us things look great, and we shouldn't worry about the "number" we get in each time.  We are simply thankful that this expansion is going successfully, and though we proceed eagerly, we also proceed with caution.  We are well on our way to 700 cc in the right side, but have faced the fact we won't get near that on the left.  We trust in God's plan, and look forward to seeing the results He is leading us toward.

On one other, and very happy note, I had my standard neurologist follow-up yesterday and my other Dr. B said I look just fantastic.  He has no concerns about my development, and is happy - impressed even - to see how well I am doing.  I don't even have to go back for six whole months.  We continue to pray every day that my NCM remains asymptomatic, and are eternally grateful that God has blessed me with such a mild form of this rare disease.  Please keep this in your prayers as well. 

So, here are the results of Fill #3 - 230 cc in the left and 290 in the right.  Please also help us pray that I don't catch my sister's cold so Fill #4 can proceed on time.  Thank you for your continued support.  We couldn't do this without all of the love we have coming our way.



No comments:

Post a Comment