Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Plan

For the first time since my first surgery, I went to see Dr. Bauer in the office for a pre-op visit. Seeing that this is my 7th surgery, and we had originally planned on 4, and we know this will get us close but it won't be enough to get the whole enchilada, we thought it was good to talk about "the plan."

Dr. Bauer came to see me with an entourage of medical students and nurses. This was test #1 for me, though I didn't know it. My parents are always wary of how I will react to these situations, and as I get older, they don't know if it will get easier or harder. The fact that I've been going around for weeks telling them "no bubbles" while pointing at my leg has not been a good sign. But I passed the "office-visit test" with flying colors. Notwithstanding all of the people who packed into the room to watch Dr. Bauer poke around my naked bottom, I did not cry, I did not fuss, I did not get upset at all. I just hung out and played with mom's iPhone (yes, even at 2-years-old I know how to use this!) and waited for them to finish. Whew!

After my last surgery, Dr. Bauer had talked about expanding the legs only this time. So we were surprised (pleasantly, if you can believe it) that he said he would place 3 or 4 expanders! He is trying to make this my last round of expansion, and will place what will fit safely and still allow me to grow good quality skin. And if this expansion is succesful, the plan is to return for a final excision of any nevus Dr. B hasn't gotten (without expansion) and revision of scar tissue. So, ideally, "the plan" is 3 more surgeries (today included).

I went back for surgery about an hour ago; mom and dad sit patiently in the waiting room to discover what lies ahead for the next 12 weeks. And, they were able to breathe another sign of relief when I passed test #2 -- the "pre-op wait test." I ran into the hospital, goofing around without a care of where I was. When we got to the usual nurses station, I drew back a little, starting to figure it out. But that was it. I am a champion, and I have proved it once more. I didn't fuss, didn't cry, didn't even seem anxious.

So we will see how test #3 goes -- the "post-op test". They should find out anytime...

No comments:

Post a Comment