Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Let's Do This!

Tomorrow is one week post 7th surgery, and I am doing great!  My parents really weren't sure how this would go over now that I am getting older and becoming more aware of everything in this process.  But if you remember, I was stunning them with my pre-surgical strength and courage.  And today, they are even more in awe of me.  I am a champion. 

Admittedly, the immediate time post-surgery was not good.  I was in quite a bit of pain, upset, and angry, and for the first time the anesthesia was causing some nausea.  So the remainder of the day did not go over well.  We stayed the night in the hospital due to my upset tummy and the need to get my meds via IV since I couldn't take them orally.  But I was already sleeping pretty well by that night, and the next morning I started taking my regular over-the-counter pain  medications without trouble. 

Dr. Bauer came the next morning to change my dressings himself, and then we were on our merry way.  By the time we got into the car, I was feeling much more like myself, and when we got back to the hotel, boy was I ready to eat!  The improvements just kept coming after that.  Saturday was the last day I took pain medication.  Isn't that amazing?  I only took meds for three days!  By Sunday night, I was up and walking again.  And not just a little - I walked half a block!  Monday, I woke up happy, in a good mood, and ready to jump and climb!  Yes it's true -- mom and dad are already chasing me around again!

We are home now and I am feeling good.  I am still having a little physical trouble, but I will adjust in time.  It's hard for me to sit down, and I can't bend over yet.  My legs are sore and tender, which makes me walk a little funny too.  But I don't complain about it at all.  I go about my business, and our days are a lot like any other. 

I am sporting THREE new expanders, which is awesome because we only expected two when we left for Chicago last week.  There is a 350cc expander in each of my thighs (each filled with 50cc during surgery) and a 750cc expander on the right side of my back (filled with 120cc during surgery).  Two of the ports are in new locations, so that is another adjustment, but we are very happy with their placement because they should be super easy to access.  If I keep healing as expected, mom and dad will begin my injections on Sunday.

The expanders are difficult to detect at this point, but you can see small bulges.  Two of the ports are on the left side of my back, and one is in the nevus (it is pretty obvious).  You can also see the drain tubes here, but dad will remove those on Sunday.
Ready for a dressing change!
A fresh dressing and a big smile!  That's just how I roll these days.
You can see from my smile that my demeanor has changed dramatically from the last round of expansion.  I am older, wiser, and much more expansion-savvy!  Only time will tell how I actually handle the fills, but if this is any indication, they should be a piece of cake.  Knock on wood. 

So stick with me to see how we do on this 4th round of expansion.  If it goes well, there is a chance these are my last expanders.  We won't get ahead of ourselves, however.  There are too many variables which can change that expectation, so it is more of a hopeful outcome.  For now, we are thankful that surgery went well, recovery is going great, and the healing process is doing what it should. We are praying that this round is infection-free, that the skin stretches well, and that we have no complications.  In 11 weeks, then we just might be able to really enjoy the thought that these could be my last expanders.  It's in God's hands, and we trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment