Saturday, March 5, 2011

Plugging Forward

It took some time, but after consulting with many doctors, including a new infectious disease doctor, we have decided that que será será.  There aren't any steps we can take right now that will safely and successfully eradicate the bacteria from my body.  And actually, everyone, has bacteria in their bodies - even sometimes pseudomonas (like me).  So it's not really a foreign issue for surgeons to deal with.  In Dr. Bauer's exact words, "the thing about colonization in these types of wound situations is that you may be able to find pseudomonas in the area but the wound will still be healing or healed.  I can't tell you how often we dealt with this [in the past]."  So, we're taking the good signs -- the fact that I'm healthy, my incisions having healed beautifully, and me hitting milestones left and right -- and running with them.  We continue to pray that I don't have any complications with my future surgeries, in which case we should be able to complete removal of my nevus around March, 2012. 

Now, we eagerly await my next surgery date of May, 10, 2011 -- just 9 1/2 weeks away.  Mom and dad give me "vinegar baths" which supposedly will help to reduce the risk of infection.  This surgery date is still somewhat tentative, however, as Dr. Bauer will push it back if I develop a cold or ear infection during the month of April.  So prayers for good general health are also appreciated, especially since Dr. Bauer will not be performing surgeries between the beginning of May and end of June.  It will be a long delay if I get sick. 

So you can see for yourselves, here is one of the most recent photos that we sent to Dr. Bauer, to which he replied, "his back looks terrific."  Everything is coming along great, and you can see what an art Dr. Bauer's work really is.  We are so grateful that he was brought into our lives.  Thank you all for keeping up with us and remembering me in your thoughts.  Stay tuned, for there is much more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment