Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Time to Heal

Well I have successfully made it though my first "round" of expansion.  Yes, it was a heavily abbreviated round -- being only two weeks long (rather than 12 weeks) due to increasing complications.  But, in the end, I have experienced expander placement surgery and I did have part of my nevus removed.

Two days ago, my stitches came out, which was the final step in this process.  Everything went well, and I didn't have any pain in the procedure.  The only little problem that arose is that my skin separated at the incision for about an inch or so on one side.  The doctor steri-stripped it, and hopefully it will heal in a few days.  The real bugger about it all is that I REALLY REALLY want to get moving and mom and dad have to continue to "restrain" me until I heal.  That is not an easy feat.  The day ends up basically like this: held for a while, then play in the bouncer, in the pack-n-play, in the high chair, and in the activity center... and then we start over.  Once I'm given full reign of the house, there will be no stopping me!!

 Here are the latest photos...

Stitch-Free
So, now it's time that we sit back, relax, and wait for me to heal, both inside and out.  As of last week, my body was still harboring the bacteria that we think caused all the problems.  None of the 5 antibiotics that I took got rid of it, or so it seems.  Unfortunately, once I heal up, there won't be a way for us to check whether it is present.  So, we'll just have to cross our fingers and pray that we don't have this complication next time.  Currently, my next surgery is scheduled for May 10, just 5 days after my first birthday.  We won't know whether that is a firm date until we reach it; Dr. Bauer said I have to be entirely healthy for several weeks before surgery to avoid this problem again.  Please pray with us that we are able to continue on schedule and without complications.  We appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment