Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Welcome to Chicago!


We made it!  On Monday, December 27th, we got up very early, got on a plane, and flew to Chicago.  Our plane ride was uneventful, and both my sissy and I had a good time.  My sissy, in fact, thought the plane ride was lots of fun. Here she is enjoying the take off...


I did pretty good myself...


We got here expecting bone-chilling cold.  And yes, it is very cold.  But nowhere near as cold as we all expected.  We have hardly had to bundle up!  But we have beautiful snowy views for sure, and can't wait to get out and play in it.


View from our hotel room

View from our friend's home

So, what have we been doing all this time?  It has actually been pretty busy.  Monday was full of travel and getting settled.  Yesterday, daddy drove us around his hometown, which is about an hour from our hotel.  And today was spent at Dr. Bauer's office.  We spent a lot of time there - much of it waiting.  But that's the price you pay for choosing the best doctor in the world, so we didn't mind.  We also got to see our new and dear friends from South Dakota, the Nagels.  Sully, who is 17 months old, is having his 4th nevus surgery tomorrow, right after my first surgery.  I have a feeling he and I will be great buddies in the future.

I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow at 7:30 a.m., which means we have to check in "dark" and early at 6:00.  Surgery should take about 2 hours, and Dr. B showed us exactly where to expect the expanders, ports and tubes.  He also showed the little parts he hopes to begin removing tomorrow.  It is going to be a big day!  When I wake up from surgery, I should be relatively comfortable because they'll be giving me a numbing anesthesia to help me adjust.  I'll be bundled up in bandages for days, so we won't get a good look probably until at least next week. 

Dr. B also talked to my parents about what we can expect in future surgeries, and it all sounds good.  We are so relieved to finally get this process started, and are looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel.

We will keep you posted on how it all goes.  Please join me in praying for all of the surgeries coming up to go well.  Not only is my friend Sully having surgery tomorrow, but my other friends Zac (8 months, Arizona) and Brooklyn (10 months, Montana) are having their first surgeries with Dr. B next week.  We are definitely all in the best hands possible, though, and are ready for this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment