Friday, December 31, 2010

1 Down, 3 to Go!

It is about 24 hours post-first surgery here at Highland Park Hospital in Chicago.  It is raining, "warm" (you know, 49 degrees warm), and the snow is quickly melting.  I am relatively quiet and calm, enjoying whatever pain killers they are willing to pump me with, and "contently" laying belly to belly with my mommy or daddy at any given time.

Yesterday morning, we arrived at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. Of course, I had no idea what I was in for... just look at how happy I was!

All bundled up, just arriving at the hospital
The nurse quickly got me changed and hooked up to all the do-dads they need to keep track of the important stuff. And then Dr. Bauer came in to touch base before we got to the main event.



Pre-Op nurse getting me ready

How cute am I in my hospital gown???


Dr. B is ready... am I?
At 7:30 a.m., the nurse whisked me away, and mom and dad went to the waiting room.  Surgery lasted about 2 hours, and then Dr. Bauer happily came in to tell mom and dad that it went very well.  He implanted two 500 cc expanders under my skin, just above my nevus.  They were already filled with 75 cc of saline, which gives us a great start on expansion.  Just below the expanders, and under the nevus, he placed the tubes and ports that mom and dad will access to fill my expanders on a weekly basis.  I think we are aiming for 600-700 cc each by the end of expansion.  Don't ask me how we're supposed to put that into a 500 cc expander -- but they'll tell us when we do my first fill.

As an added bonus, Dr. Bauer was able to remove BOTH of the annoying lumps that were on the very sensitive area of my bottom, as well as another little nodule that was problematic.  Mom didn't want to post such a graphic photo, but she says my bottom looks great, and I'll take her word for it!

We spent about an hour in recovery, while my temperature and oxygen levels came up.  Then, we settled into our room.  My Nana and Great Auntie and Uncle came with my sissy, and that helped to perk me up.  As soon as I heard her voice, I looked up, and she sang me some songs to cheer me up. 

Sissy singing to me

Sissy with Nana and Auntie
By mid-afternoon, though, my numbing anesthesia had worn off, and it was definitely time for pain meds.  Needless to say, I was rather uncomfortable.



They started with plain infant ibuprofin and then infant Tylenol, but those just didn't cut it.  Before bed, the nurse got me an order for Tylenol with Codeine, and that was much better.  We were able to sleep on and off all night in a chair, with just slight hourly interruptions of pain.  I got a second dose of the good stuff at about 4:30 a.m., and some more ibuprofin this morning.  I haven't been able to get comfortable enough to nurse, but have taken a couple of bottles, and we can see my appetite coming back slowly.

Relatively early this morning, we got to do the unveiling, and mommy and daddy got to see my backside for the first time. 

Getting ready to change my dressing for the first time. 
Look - I even held my bear! 

The stitches are on the sides just under the top of the nevus.
You can just barely see the bump from the expanders right above the stitches. The expanders will be more obvious as the swelling goes down.
We change my dressings daily, and I also have drainage tubes coming from the incision that will stay in for 11 days.  Mom and dad have to change the drains every 4 hours, but it isn't hard to do.  We will see Dr. Bauer's staff on Monday for a check-up, and then again a week from Monday to remove the drains and do my first expansion. 

All in all, this has been a rough experience, and I am nowhere near myself yet, but it is coming.  I'm a strong boy, I have a strong family, and we are so very blessed to have the most wonderful friends, family and medical staff to get us through this.  We couldn't do it without you.

Cuddling up to mama the morning after
On a final note, I did get to see my buddy Sully for a quick minute yesterday.  His surgery went well also, and he is feeling about how I am feeling.  But he is a trooper, and he is showing me how to take charge of this situation.  As soon as we're up to getting a picture together, we'll post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment