Sunday, March 11, 2012

Holy Moly!

Oh what a week it's been!  We made it home from Chicago last Monday, just in the nick of time before my sister started getting sick (the same way I was sick while in the hospital).  Turns out I (probably) wasn't reacting to anesthesia or getting sick from any surgery-related problems, but we're pretty sure the stomach flu went through the family starting with me a few hours after surgery.  What horrible timing!  After about a week, I was finally over it and my stomach, at least, was feeling back to normal.

The rest of me, on the other hand, did not feel back to normal until this morning when mom and dad removed my drains.  They really bugged me this time, and whenever I tried to walk or sit on my bottom, it hurt.  So for the last 10 days, I have been laying around, entertained by my two favorite T.V. shows: Mickey Mouse  Clubhouse (of course!) and Baby Signing Time.  Needless to say, I had a boring week!  Mom and dad wouldn't say the same!

Ok, to get to the really interesting part of our week...  A few days ago, the incision at the center of my back, where the flaps all came together, began to split.  Now, we are no strangers to open tissue, or the wet-to-dry dressings needed three times a day to care for it.  This happened to me after my last removal -- well sort of.  In case you don't recall, my incision opened last time a half-inch or so, and was filled with some goop.  Mom and dad kept up the dressing routine needed to clear it out, and it healed over nice enough.  So when they saw the goop start to form this time, they knew what to do.  But, they weren't prepared for what would be under the goop.

As the days have gone on since this incision first opened, this gap seemed to be getting a little wider with each dressing change.  Last night, it actually looked pretty good.  Well, pretty icky, but still healthy.  This morning, though, it was much more shocking.  The gap had gotten bigger, and the skin at the edge appeared to lift away from my body.  It is probably a 2-4 square-inch gap at this point.  Yup, mom and dad were pretty freaked out.

Photos were sent to Dr. Bauer and then dad called immediately thereafter.  Imagine his surprise when Dr. Bauer said it looks "great" and that it is "healing nicely."  Yes, that was nice to hear, but it is almost unimaginable considering how horrific it looks to the rest of us.  He re-instructed on the dressing changes we need to do, and said it should look better in a couple of days.  Oh boy, we hope so!

Here's a gander at the situation we are dealing with.  Oh, and by the way, there are not one, but TWO spots where my incision has split...




It goes without saying that this is unsettling.  We trust Dr. Bauer and we know that it will heal, but we don't know when, or what other problems might pop up before that happens.  Please help us pray that this heals quickly, with little discomfort, and without infection.

1 comment: