Thursday, February 23, 2012

We Did Good!

I am pleased to say that my expansions for this round are over!  No, there was not another fill done since the last post.  Dr. Bauer has instructed us to stop because of a little virus I'm dealing with (I'll get into that in a minute).  But one thing's for sure -- even with one missed fill, we did good!  My final numbers are: 750 right back expander, 655 left back expander and 410 in the leg.  Wow!  And one week from today, we will see just where that lands me. 

So, the virus.  Yes, I caught a little "something."  It showed up yesterday, just 8 days before my scheduled removal surgery, in the form of a fever.  Mom tried to control it by alternating Tylenol and Motrin, but by early afternoon, my temperature was rising despite the medications.  And then I threw up, so it was definitely time to see the doctor.  When we got there, my temp was reading 103! 

Dr. Miller - my awesome and amazing pediatrician - ran several tests, including strep, flu and RSV.  All were negative.  The cultures were sent out for formal testing, so it's possible one of them could still show up positive.  But, the likely case is that it's just a viral infection wearing me down.  We were very lucky because she could see some yucky stuff on my tonsils, so at least she could pinpoint the cause of the fever, and that saved us from worrying that it was an expander infection (and it possibly saved us a trip to the hospital for IV antibiotics). 

Tonsillitis.  That word had yet to enter my parents' vocabulary -- well, since they became parents at least.  Not the best time for this to show up, but the good news is that I appear to be on the mend.  The better news is that Dr. Bauer believes we can still go forward with surgery as scheduled on March 1.  I haven't broken out in a fever since I woke up this morning, and there was no throwing up today either.  So this has proven to be a very interesting week.  We are still praying that I continue to improve, and that surgery does proceed as scheduled.  Hopefully, my next post will be from snowy Chicago!    

No comments:

Post a Comment