Thursday, July 28, 2011

We Did It!

I can't believe it... we have completed an entire expansion.  It has been 11 very short, yet very long, weeks since my last surgery when two expanders were placed.  Looking back 7 months ago, this is kind of surreal, because we were facing the possibility that this may never happen.

One week from today, I will take the special Highland Park Hospital snooze, and when I wake up, my bubbles will be gone along with a good deal of my nevus.  We don't know what lies ahead -- what Dr. Bauer will be able to do in this surgery, what kind of surgery I will need next, or how many surgeries I will need after this -- but we are eternally grateful to the Lord for getting us through this successfully.

We did the final injection last night - on the smaller side only, of course.  It was hard to push in even 20 cc, and we knew it would be the last one.  We have learned to read the signs, and we know that my little body has endured as much as it can in this round.

We continue to treat the bruise on the other side, and it is lightening up a bit and looking very good.  At my pre-op appointment last week, the pediatrician said it shouldn't be a problem.  We look forward to finding out.  

In the end, we did 6 fills on the right side, ending at 505 cc, and 10 fills on the left side, ending at 470 cc.  It's not all that close to our original goal of 700 each, but we are happy with it and Dr. Bauer says we are "in good shape."  All in all, the complications we've had during this expansion have been minor.  The most important thing to remember is that we made it through this round without infection, which is miraculous considering my history.

So take a look at me and my bubbles.  It will be the last time you see them.  If I do have another round of expansion, Dr. B says the expanders will probably be below the nevus next time.  That is an entire other ball game though, and one we will explore if and when the time comes.  For now, please help me pray for a successful surgery and recovery.  The same goes for my buddies Sully (from South Dakota) and Zac (from Arizona), who are both having surgery on the same day as me, Brooklyn (from Montana), whose surgery is 4 days after ours, and Aiden (from California), who goes in a couple of weeks later.  I'm happy to also report that Brayden came through his surgery with flying colors.  He is a superstar, as I knew he would be.  We are little, but we are strong.  That said, we could all still use your prayers.  Thank you. 

My bubbles at their max... 505 cc on the right and 470 cc on the left
 

Right Side (505 cc)
Left Side (470 cc)

No comments:

Post a Comment